Sunday, September 22, 2013

Commit To Change

Ever since I watched the movie, "Forks Over" Knives", I made a promise to myself to commit to a vegetarian lifestyle.  I am ready to be a green, crunchy, "save the earth" mama!  I'm not afraid to try new recipes, grow my own veggies, and dust off my juicer.  I am ready to commit to health!

However, my first challenge is to convert my family!  My husband frequently states that he never met a chicken that he did not like.  Plus, thanks to the great marketing tools of most fast food joints, it will take a miracle to get my kids aboard the veggie train.  My immediate plan is to invoke MEATLESS MONDAYS!!  Basically giving my family no alternative but to eat a good hardy vegetarian dinner!

My first family meatless dinner will be:

Vegetarian Chili


Ingredients
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
1 cup chopped red bell peppers
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 medium zucchini, stem ends trimmed and cut into small dice
2 cups frozen corn kernels
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespooon ground cumin

1 tsp Ghirardelli cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp (or a bit less) cayenne pepper
A couple splashes of soy sauce

1/4 teaspoon cayenne
4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
3 cups cooked black beans, or canned beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
1 cup vegetable stock
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Cooked brown rice
strained plain yogurt, garnish
Diced avocado, garnish


This recipe was modified and adapted from The Picky Eater Blog:  http://pickyeaterblog.com/the-best-vegetarian-chili-ever/

No comments:

Post a Comment